Sunday, January 19, 2014

"Popular" Culture?

I've been told time and time again that I was born an old soul, and I have no doubt in my mind that there is much validity in that statement. I'd rather read F. Scott Fitzgerald than Cosmo, and I spend more money at J.Crew than Forever 21. I keep a journal and prefer handwritten letters, I am in a relationship that is based on more than boozy weekends and Instagram posts. Maybe this is why I am in such complete opposition with what society considers "pop culture".

I don't keep up with the Kardashians. I don't care about what drugs Justin Bieber is doing this week. I couldn't care less about what new stunt Miley Cyrus has come up with to seek attention. None of those things concern me even a fraction of how much they seem to engulf people my age. Sometimes I look at my generation, and it all makes sense why we're Generation Y. Literally, why?! I've harped on this before, but this time my perspective is different.

After seemingly the longest semester of my college career (I understand why they call it a sophomore slump now), I came back after Christmas break ready to make the comeback of the year. I've been seeing things in a completely different light, and maybe even a little out of my element. Have I grown out of touch with the way things are these days? Have I become so focused on the rest of my life that I have forgotten the here and now? I like to think that I haven't. I still have more fun than I know what to do with, I say yes to opportunities, I'm truly living the dream. But I still find myself shaking my head at things I see... In person, on campus, on the weekends, on social media. Now, don't get me wrong - we all make questionable decisions sometimes. I mean.. It's college. In no way am I pointing fingers. But I can't help but wonder what is going through the mind of people my age when they do some of the things they do? 

College might be the best years of your life, but they are not the only four years of your life. Remember why you're here. We're here to make friendships, connections, learn (do we have to???), and prepare yourself for the rest of your life. We hear people constantly harping on us to be aware of what we post on social media, because our future employers are watching. It's so easy to blow it off because "out of sight, out of mind." But in all reality, there are more than just future employers watching. Your family is watching, your friends (and frenemies for that matter) are watching, God is watching. Do you want their impression of you to be a lush who wears provocative outfits and dances on tables every weekend? I mean, maybe you do. And if you're one of those people, you do you. 

Even more so than just the choices we make, we have to keep in mind that they are our choices. No one else's. This is what frustrates me more than anything about my generation. Why is it that we feel it is completely okay to blame others for our choices? No, it probably isn't your professor's fault you failed chemistry - it's probably because you chose to go out to a party on the night before your final instead of studying. No, it isn't the officer's fault for pulling you over and charging you with a DUI - it's your fault for putting the innocent lives of others in the path of danger. There are countless things that we do, big and small, that we try so hard to blame others for. Myself included. But this isn't where the road ends. 

This is just where the road begins. We all make mistakes. We all do things that we regret, and we wish we could take back. But, everything in life is either a blessing or a lesson. I propose that we take matters into our own hands, and start learning from our lessons. You don't have to Bono or Bill Gates to change the world. Change has always come from pissed off young people. Do yourself a favor, do the world around you a favor. Take charge in this life, and make a change for the better. You might just surprise yourself with what you can accomplish. Maybe you'll even change the face of what "popular" culture is. But if you don't? You'll still change your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment