Friday, February 7, 2014

Six months later

Six months ago, I sat down and began to type. Six months ago, I was beginning my sophomore year of college. Six months ago, I thought I knew exactly what I was doing with my life, what my plan was, who I was.

Somewhere along the line, I realized maybe I wasn't quite so sure.

Avicii has a popular song, many would argue that it is popular to the point of disintegration, but no matter your views, this song has lyrics that struck me right to the core. One line in particular especially hit home to me, "All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost."

Six months ago, I took a risk. Six months ago, I started this blog. Six months ago, I opened myself up and finally decided to share my love of writing with the world.

These last six months have been a whirlwind... To say the least.

Since August, I've realized the truth in the philosophy of "If you can't change the people around you, change the people around you." I was in a car accident that I was lucky to walk away from. I started learning a second language. I met one of the most incredible, life-changing people that I could have ever imagined. I changed my mind of what I want to do with my life (albeit a small change). I stood up for myself. I had my first knee injury and my first concussion. I broke the heart of someone I cared deeply about, if only to save my own. I've worked to become healthier, more patient, more well-rounded, more open-minded. I've questioned the very foundations of my thinking, and I've created a relationship with God more solid than ever.

Six months ago, I thought I had it all figured out. Six months ago, I was a different person than the woman I am today. Six months ago, I didn't think it could get any better than it was.

I was wrong.

Sharing my writing has changed me as a person, and I have you to thank. If you're reading this - thank you. All I have ever wanted was to leave my mark on this world, to maybe change someone's life. I never needed it to be a big mark, just enough to be remembered by. So many people have come to me to tell me how much they love my blog, that I inspire them, to keep doing what I love. So many times when I'm told things like this, I admit, I teared up and maybe let go of a few tears.

Six months ago, I was looking for direction - even if I didn't know it at the time. Six months ago, I wrote just for me because it was something I love to do. Six months ago, I never imagined where sharing my writing would take me.

Brandon Heath sings a song I've always loved, and the chorus goes like this... "I wish you could see me now. I wish I could show you how. I'm not who I was."

I'm not who I was six months ago, and I couldn't be more thankful for that. For the first time in my life, I'm not completely sure where life is going to take me - and strangely enough? I'm completely okay with that. I have a new appreciation for the little things, for quiet moments, for new experiences. I want to travel the world, and I say "yes" now to trying anything (within reason) once. I'm in a healthy relationship for the first time, and even crazier is that he is 500 miles away. I am more grateful than ever for my independence, but I also have finally accepted that sometimes it's okay to ask for a helping hand.

Six months ago, I never could have guessed that I would be where I am today. And I can only hope to say the same six months from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment